Monday, December 12, 2011

Electricity and Me ...

This is the story about my first contact with electricity. Electric current
puzzled me right from my childhood. It all started first time when i observed 
that when a switch is on, fan runs. I wondered how is it possible n asked 
the reason for it. They said current runs from here to fan n makes it run. 
Back then i know only three basic mediums solid,liquid n gas[till now i know 
only three]. I asked which category it belong to my bro, n like
all elder bro he pushed me aside when i asked question beyond his intelligence. 


Then i started to observe each n every electronic instruments n wondered
what is electricity.Suddenly one day my brother came running to my mom 
saying "i got a electric shock when i touched the switch for refrigerator". 
Then my family members started using that switch board with utmost caution 
n they never advised me not to touch it bcos i wasnt the height reach the 
switch board. I went to my bro n asked how was the shock ? expalin , n once 
again like all elder brother he exaggerated things to show off in front of his 
younger bro n make him feel that he is much grown up n experienced about 
life. He said it was like some one pulling my hand inside , u can hear n 
ringing noise in ur ears , ur whole body jolts even after withdrawing
from the switch n ur teeth goes ewwwww..  etc etc. Even by that age i know 
he is exaggerating but still was excited on hearing the effects of getting 
electric shock. 


So i decided to know about electricity further more n yet again no one 
gave ears to my doubts or never bother to explain me.This is the problem 
i had when i was young. They never discuss anything with me n even when i 
ask doubts in btw when they r speaking i ll be scolded for not behaving well,
there was a rule for me in home that i shud not interfere when someone
is talking n not ask what it means, although this might look rude for u guys 
but considering the options it was the best rule they made bcos of my 
irresistible n nuisance questions especially  while watching tv. Few are like,
those days there was only DD channel n they telecast movie only once in a 
week n when they do so the whole family in India ll be sitting in front of it
since no other channel was there u cant change to any other channels 
while advertisements r running .There used to be  only three chairs in our 
hall , so i always used to lay down in front of them n watch tv. One day when 
they were showing LUX soap ad , a woman ll be bathing in bath tub ,i 
suddenly ask my family "why this girl is bathing without closing the door ?"
The whole family gets stunned n wonder what to answer n they remain 
silent , when i go for the same question second time they give me something 
which makes me not to open my mouth till the movie gets over. The worst 
one in this kind is while wathing ROJA film in first night scene 
the light ll switch off n i ask in loud voice "why. why. they switched off the 
light ? i cant see anything ? n what they r doing now ? " . Now u may find the 
above rule not so rude :P .

May be this continued to long that most of childhood i couldnt figure out 
what my parents r speaking ,so i used to add a head n tail to the story n 
make it a complete story.I think this quality made me the natural gossip 
teller later n i was one of the best in speaking gossips in college.

                      
                                      


Coming back to electricity , this amusement was going for a short time in 
controllable manner till i watched the film "BHAGA PIRIVINAI" a shivaji 
ganesan movie in which shivaji ll get a shock n go one limb paralysed n after 
lots of sufferings he ll again get a shock n his limb turn back normal.. 
My thoughts were running furious after watching this , how 
come its possible to make one paralyse n reverse it by electricity. 
Now i decided to start my test with electricity n know what it is . First i
chose a LED buld from old box connected it with two wires n put it direct 
into the plug point socket , a glow came for a second n it got burned 
.I ran back to my room n pretended to sleep ,later evening when no light 
or fan was working in home they found that fuse has gone n i was the one 
who did it.I was taken care well but yet again i repeated the same thing this 
time with removing torch bulb n connecting it to plug point.
This time the intensity was much worse n later i was take care very well 
such that till this date i dont to it again ;).


Now my focus swifted from electricity to electric shock , bcos in btw these 
years my bro experienced two more shock n was again explaining / 
exaggerating about his adventure. I wanted to feel my maiden shock , i was 
going mad to experience shock. I used to touch all electronic 
things in rapid touch to get a shock. Like i used to run my fingers behind the 
fridge which ll be having a guitar like strings from top to bottom , i felt nothing , 
then used to touch tubelight nothing happened . It went on for months finally 
the day came , once i was asked to connect the tv antenna pin back to the 
socket ,while i was doing i saw a spark coming when i touched pin into 
socket , now i gave wide grin , i know i found what i was searching , 
i left the pin down n within a matter of seconds i plunged my finger 
into the tv socket !!!  boooooom ...

                                                         
I was wrong .My bro was not exaggerating about the shock he was right 
this one time!! Felt a alarm in my ears , someone pulling my hand inside,
my mouth went dried . Everything was picture perfect like he said. That 
was the terrible lesson i learnt n that was the end of all my experiments 
regarding electricity. 


MORAL :
" Our childhood interests is were our potential lies n parents must 
encourage this" 
this is a widely used now a days.But its not correct in all instances. 
Being such a crazy fan of electricity , physics was my toughest subject n 
as a matter of fact i never understood about electricity , it was the low 
scoring subject throughout my school days . I never understood what is this
step-up n step-down transformer , AC generator ,DC generator etc.
So just bocs ur kid plays with paper rocket dont think his interest is in 
Rocket science . Period!

2 comments:

Meow said...

hahaha... had super laugh after reading this...

Indeed i liked the moral of the story too :)

Btw, Machi's co., is leader in changing AC to DC etc... Physics is my enemy. :) Me loves only numbers, calculations :P

arun said...

he he.. nachu moral !! :P